We are currently accepting applications for the Alumni Board. Please carefully read the information on this page and then click here to submit an application. The application deadline is March 10, 2017.
Alumni Board Member Selection
A member of the Alumni Board of the Muhlenberg College Alumni Association is selected to hold the position based on many factors including, but not limited to, the individual's commitment to Muhlenberg College and the goals of the Alumni Association, distinguished personal and/or vocational achievement, and financial support to the College. Other desired qualifications include the ability to motivate individual members and committees; a proven leader in other organizations, associations, or clubs; the ability to set and achieve goals and objectives; a team player. Members will be representative of the diversity of the Alumni Association membership. All persons who have graduated from Muhlenberg College or received honorary degrees or who have been officially enrolled at the College for a significant period of time are eligible for consideration for the Alumni Board.
Member Expectations & Responsibilities
The Muhlenberg College Alumni Board is an advisory board, not a policy-making board. As such, each member is invited and expected to serve the Board and Muhlenberg College in the following ways:
1. Work in active, respectful partnership with the Alumni Affairs Director, the Vice President for Advancement, the President and the Board of Trustees to achieve the long-range institutional goals and objectives of Muhlenberg College.
2. Attend in person four (4) meetings per year of the Alumni Board, typically held in September, November, February and April of each academic year.
2016-2017 Meeting Dates:
September 10, 2016
November 12, 2016
February 4, 2017
February 11, 2017 (snow date)
April 22, 2017
2017-2018 Meeting Dates:
September 9, 2017
November 18, 2017
February 3, 2018
February 24, 2018 (snow date)
April 21, 2018
3. Participate actively in the work of at least one Alumni Board standing committee or task force to achieve the annual goals and objectives of the Alumni Board consistent with the Board’s three-year strategic plan.
4. Serve as a resource to Muhlenberg College alumni, students, faculty, staff and parents by maintaining awareness and knowledge of important College activities, new projects and innovations, strategic institutional goals and fund development priorities.
5. Represent the Muhlenberg Alumni Association and alumni body by participating in a minimum of two campus-based events per year (e.g., Homecoming, Reunion, Alumni Achievement Awards Luncheon, Regional Club events, Commencement, Opening or Closing Convocation, theatre openings, fundraising events, among others.)
6. Ensure that the Alumni Board reaches the 100% participation level by committing to an annual contribution to the Muhlenberg Fund. While there is no proscribed gift amount, we invite Alumni Board members to contribute to the best of their ability, with an aspiration of attaining the level of Henry Melchior Muhlenberg Society, the first level of leadership giving.
7. Ensure that the Alumni Board reaches the 100% participation level by committing to a one-time gift of $150 to the Alumni Trust Fund, the designated endowment fund through which the Alumni Board can make financial gifts to the College on behalf of the entire alumni body.
8. Actively support the work of the Alumni Board Development Committee and the Muhlenberg Department of Advancement by making thank you phone calls; writing thank you notes; assisting in the identification and cultivation of potential donors; and in certain cases, partnering with Advancement staff to solicit alumni gifts to the College.